Deputy Inspector General of Police Usman Alkali Baba was on Tuesday appointed as acting Inspector-General of Police.
Minister of Police Affairs, Maigari Dingyadi, said the appointment already approved by President Muhammadu Buhari, takes immediate effect.
Baba, who hails from Yobe State, has held several strategic positions in the Force in the past.
Below are a few things you may not know about the newly appointed acting IGP:
1. Baba was born on March 1, 1963.
2. He’s an indigene of Geidam, Yobe State.
3. In his years of meritorious service in the Force, Baba has held various offices such as DIG Force CID and Force Secretary at the Force Headquarters, Abuja.
4. Baba has also served in various commands, including Kaduna as the Deputy Commissioner, Administration; He was in FCT as the Deputy Commissioner, Investigation and was also in the staff college as a directing staff.
5. He served in Ilorin, Kwara State, as an Area Commander. He was Deputy Commissioner of Police in Ebonyi. He was also an Assistant Commissioner, CID in Kaduna. Earlier, he served as Divisional Police Officer in various states, including Adamawa, Gombe, Kaduna, and Plateau.
6. Baba holds a Masters in Public Administration Degree from the University of Maiduguri, Borno State (1997) and a BA (ED) Political Science from Bayero University, Kano. He has attended several professional courses and workshops.
7. The new acting IGP was a member of Course 22/2014 of the National Defence College.
8. He’s a member of the International Association of Police Chiefs and fellow of the International War College.