REMARKS BY BOSS MUSTAPHA, SECRETARY TO THE GOVERNMENT OF THE FEDERATION AT THE UNVEILING OF THE THEME AND LOGO FOR NIGERIA’s SIXTIETH (DIAMOND) ANNIVERSARY BY PRESIDENT MUHAMMADU BUHARI ON WEDNESDAY SEPTEMBER 16TH 2020.
I am very honoured by the opportunity and privilege given by Mr. President to serve as the Chairman of the Inter-Ministerial Committee (IMC) on Nigeria’s Sixtieth Anniversary celebration.
2. Your Excellency, Mr. President, upon your approval of the Inter-Ministerial Committee (IMC) on Nigeria’s Sixtieth Anniversary and directive for a low-keyed celebration that would be highly inclusive, the IMC went to work and agreed on a theme to drive the Celebration.
3. One major agreement also was the need to deviate from the norm of celebrating our landmark events with a conclusion on the day of such events. Thus, it was agreed that to make the Diamond Anniversary very inclusive and create opportunities for internalization and “buy-in” by all sectors and the Nigerian people, a year long celebration would be pursued starting from the date of launching a web portal to September 30th 2021.
4. Mr. President, Members of Council, I am happy to inform you that today’s unveiling of the logo is the second milestone of the celebration but it actually marks the official take-off of Nigeria’s Sixtieth Anniversary celebration.
5. Kindly permit me to provide a little background as to the theme, processes for selection of a logo, eventual outcome and outstanding elements as well as rationale for a year-long celebration.
6. The IMC had a very robust argument on the theme and finally settled on one that recognizes our sojourn in nationhood, identified challenges faced all through and what is required to move Nigeria to its enviable stage amongst the comity of nations.
7. To arrive at a logo, the IMC had to review fifteen different possibilities designed by a patriotic group of Nigerian firms to whom we had expressed our appreciation for their efforts.
8. Out of these fifteen logos, the IMC chose the best four that were then subjected to a Diamond/Change/Innovation challenge on a website specifically designed for that purpose. Nigerians from all walks of life participated in the whole process that required selection of a logo, best fit slogan, appropriate poetry and accompanying photographs.
9. The outcome of the above processes as it relates to the logo is what Your Excellency would be unveiling today as well as the theme agreed by the IMC. On the other hand, the IMC would conclude the winning entries for the slogan, poetry and photography after which winners would be given prize money at a separate event.
10. Mr. President and Members of Council, the preference for a year-long celebration is to create opportunities for ownership and ensure that the edifying elements of our nation are made to propel our various individual and collective action. Therefore, post-October 1st activities to engage the private sector and the ordinary Nigerian would be the focus of the IMC.
11. It is my pleasure, honour and singular privilege to invite Mr. President to unveil the logo for the celebration of Nigeria’s Sixtieth Anniversary.
12. Your Excellency, Mr. President Sir.