According to a report by the National bureau of statistics (NBS) revealed that Adamawa state is among the poorest state in Nigeria.
The data indicated that Adamawa is third most top most on the poverty line index Due to the frequent attack from Boko Haram terrorists, Adamawa state’s economy has crippled as a result of its citizens running away from the state because of safety. It has affected the state poorly to a poverty level of 74.2%.
Nigeria, a country blessed with mineral resources and is made up of 36 states. These states are meant to be productive based on their available natural resources, and are meant to have a strong and honest government capable of managing these natural resources to generate its revenue.
These are the Poorest states in Nigeria But the reverse is the case as some states are down to poverty by 70 percent. However, these poor states in Nigeria became poor due to bad governance, mismanagement of state resources or security issues as the case may be.
1. Sokoto state is rated as the poorest state in Nigeria, ranking 81.2% on poverty level. Its harsh climate conditions has made its a no go area and has prevented foreigners and foreign investors to come for investment in the state. It is also the seat of the Caliphate.
2. Kastina Located at the deepest part of the north western area of Nigeria, Kastina state made it in the list of poorest states in Nigeria because it has fewer or no solid investment or sector that generates revenue for the state.
4.Gombe state which is located at the north-eastern part of Nigeria is also facing its own peril in security with crippled economy to a 73.2% poverty level.
5. Jigawa A state situated at the north-western part of Nigeria and basically populated with the Hausa/Fulani tribe. With low literacy level and low economic growth, the poverty level of Jigawa state is at 72.1%.
6. Plateau Although, plateau state is one of the highest populated state in Nigeria and has some tourist attractions, It has also suffered a long timely tribal conflict which has carelessly destroyed its economy by 71%
7. Ebonyi Unfortunately this is the only state in the South-East that falls under the top poorest states in Nigeria with poverty rate of 70.6% due to poverty, illiteracy and bad government.
8. Bauchi According to the National Bureau of Statistics, Bauchi was ranked among states that are poor. Statistics shows that majority of the residents in this area lack the basic amenities of life and it is a war torn zone. The mortality rate recorded after the various insurgent attack is overwhelming.
9. Kebbi Kebbi is a state in north-western Nigeria. Its capital is Birnin Kebbi. The state also listed among the 10 states that have the highest poverty rate in the country. Its rating is 72%.
10. Zamfara With 70.8 percent poverty rate, Zamfara has been ranked by the NBS among the poorest states in the country 2019. Strife, disease and hunger affects the residents of this state a lot.
We have listed the poorest states in the country according to data from the National Bureau of Statistics, using infrastructural development, state of economy, literacy level, security and governance to compile this list of 10 poorest states in Nigeria this 2018. Top Ten (10) Poorest States in Nigeria 2019:-