The 2019 general elections, very well by the corner, constitute another opportunity of the electorate to yet decide another four-year term for all elective positions in our polity. All Progressives Congress, APC, the party at the helm of affairs at the centre, is obviously not finding the sail back to power easy.
For Adamawa North Senatorial district, Sen. Binta Masi Garba Tumba, the incumbent, is not unopposed. Several opposition candidates are jostling to unseat this woman of great virtue. As the legendary English playwright William Shakespeare, says in his classic comedy, Twelfth Night, “Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.”
The senator is a great woman all because she made herself available for God to use her talents to serve. Binta’s ideology of leadership is to see people as the best reason for leaders to be leaders.
The chances laid before her are tenable and high to make her a senator for the second term. Most likely, come February 23, if mother luck smiles at her, Binta, who is popularly known as the ”Iron Lady,” will be heading a to Abuja for the second time as a senator.
The late Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. said he had a dream. He inspired people to make his dream their own. He knew what it would take to realize that dream, and he showed people how to do it. One of Binta’s strong points is her all-inclusive governance values. She is a woman devoid of fickle sentiment, ever willing to give of her best to all people.
1. Chances of competence: People say experience counts. Yes, it counts because on a general assessment of all the candidates in her zone, none has dared to match, not to talk break, break her record of competence. Binta’s giant shoes in the National Assembly will be too big for the present lineup of contestants. Mrs. Binta Masi-Garba has the next level of can-do spirit; she is a go-getter with the wit of competence to fend for her constituency, whatever the cost.
Observe her during the plenary; her presentations and composure while articulating her point during parliamentary debates on topical issues bothering not only her people of Adamawa but also Nigerians as a whole.
Her experience as a lawmaker who represented two separate constituencies (Kaduna South in Kaduna State and Michika/Madagali in Adamawa State) on three occasions at the National Assembly (Green Chambers) has armed the woman to get a wider and broader experience that will make her more competent to be a second-time senator for Adamawa North.
Her tenacity and enthusiasm enabled her to break fallow grounds in Kaduna South at the Federal House of Representatives. This is a place where women are largely discouraged in the public domain. After her first successful tenure, she contested again in 2003 and won with a margin of not less than 50,000 votes.
Those who follow her closely will agree that the representation is perfect, cordial, and focused to serve not only Adamawa but Nigerians.
With the long legislative experience of Sen. Binta, it will be in the best interest of Adamawa North to reelect this woman who is a caucus member of Adamawa APC.
Many, who know Binta well, will attest that she is a woman that has got the voice to defend her constituents. Little wonder she is called Iron Lady or Lady G.
Now, her bills are work in progress, the agenda set for Nigeria and the people of Adamawa is a work in progress, her resolutions are work in progress and her motions are work in progress.
2. General acceptability: Adamawa zone comprises five LGAs, namely Maiha, Mubi South, Mubi North, Michika, and Madagali. Binta Masi firmly believes in democracy. She frequently embarked on one-on-one campaign strategy.
3. Her scorecard: One Iliya Bazza from Michika that in the history of the northern senatorial zone of Adamawa, no senator has done what Binta did in terms of projects, empowerment, and securing jobs.
Legislative duties are practically the work of a well-grounded politician who garners experience to be able to make a difference at the National Assembly.
Out of passionate love for her people did quite a number of capital projects, created jobs for many, especially the youths and facilitated the presence of federal government projects in her constituency.
She created the record and keeping it with her well-known zeal to do much more by doing one projects of the other in all the five LGAs of Madagali, Michika, Mubi North, Mubi South, and Maiha. Below is a lineup of some of them:
1. National Biotechnology Centre situated in Kudzun, Michika LGA.
2. A newly constructed block of two classrooms, store, and office in Wuro Gude Primary School, Mubi North LGA
3. Block of two classrooms with an office at Government Junior Secondary School, Duhu, Madagali LGA
4. Block of two classrooms with an office at GJSS Jiddel, Michika LGA
5.Block of two classrooms with an office at GJSS Kwaccam, Mubi North LGA
6.Block of three classrooms with two blocks VIP toilets, with one hand-pump borehole in Dzuel Primary School, Madagali LGA
7. Rehabilitation of Central Primary School, Michika LGA
8. Rehabilitation of GDSS, Mujara, Mubi South LGA
9.Rehabilitation of ICT Centre at Central Primary School, Michika LGA
10. Rehabilitation of Lokuwa 1 Primary School, Mubi North LGA
11. Rehabilitation of Fuluwa Primary School, Bazza, Michika LGA
12. Rehabilitation of GDSS Pakka
13. Rehabilitation of Primary Healthcare Centre, Duvu, Mubi South
14. Rehabilitation of Primary Healthcare Centre, MayoNguli, Maiha LGA
15. Rehabilitation of Primary Healthcare Centre, Jigalambu, Michika LGA
16. Block of two classrooms with office and store at GJSS, Jalingo, Gulak
17. Upgrading of Mubi North Abattoir (Mayanka)
18. The industrial solar borehole at Michika Motor Park, Michika LGA
19. The industrial solar borehole at Jigalambu, Michika LGA
20. Free Medical Outreaches and surgery in Adamawa North Senatorial District
21. Construction of a bus stop shade at TK, Mubi
22. Sanitation Facility (Gidan Wanka Da Guga) with five toilets and one industrial borehole at Jalingo, Madagali LGA
23. Rehabilitated/constructed of 150 hand-pump boreholes across the five LGAs she is representing.
24. Sanitation Facility (Gidan Wanka Da Guga with 5 toilets) at Michika Motor Park
25.Designed Girl Child Education Programme for Class Six pupils in Michika/Madagali
25. Construction of Boga Dam Gella, Mubi South LGA
26. Embankment of River Yedzaram, Mubi North LGA
27. To eradicate poverty, Binta donated over 100 tricycles to youths of the zone during one of her empowerment/poverty alleviation programmes immediately IDPs of the zone returned.
28. 150 wheelchairs were distributed to disabled persons across the senatorial district.
29 She empowered 200 youths with start-up business capital
30. Skills training of 500 youth/women on poultry and Fish Farming
31. Distribution of relief materials to IDPs at Malkohi IDPs Camp, Yola
32. 5 Siena cars donated to the party office in Madagali, Michika, Mubi North, Mubi South, and Maiha LGA
32 One Sharon Car to NURTW, Mubi Zone.
33. A Picnic car was given to BMG Foundation
34. Sharon Car donated to Government Orphanage Home and Daycare Center, Yola
35. Sen. Binta empowered over 1,000 windows with various entrepreneurship skills
36. Empowered 3,000 women with cash to go into business
37. Women sensitization on hygiene and distribution of sanitation materials in Madagali and Michika LGAs
38. Some beneficiaries of the 1,000 women were trained and empowered on livestock production
38. Empowerment of 200 youths with sewing and grinding machines
39. Training of 50 water chlorinators and supervisors to tackle the issue of a cholera outbreak in Mubi North and Mubi South LGA
40. She gave refrigerator/generators with saloon sets distributed for youth empowerment/poverty alleviation after their return from displacement
41. Lab equipment donated to Government Day Secondary School, Mubi
42. Hundreds of mattress distributed to former IDPs
43. She constructed a garden for the community of Wuro Gude, Mubi North LGA.
4. The incumbency: One thing that’s sure and sincere reality is Binta has the power, she has the will, and she has the political platforms to win the coming election.
Hopefully, Binta will get a second chance.